WeBridge. Experience The Difference

Many people ask: “How do I claim from the RAF?” Before this question can be answered, you must first determine if you are eligible to claim from the RAF. You are eligible to claim from the RAF if you’ve been in a motor vehicle accident on South African soil.

The Road Accident Fund (RAF) is responsible for helping, rehabilitating and compensating people that have been injured as a result of a motor vehicle accident that took place on a South African road.

How do I claim from the RAF?

Before you claim from the RAF, ask yourself the following important questions:

  1. Was I in a road accident, and it was not my fault?
  2. Was I in a road accident with a vehicle I don’t own and it was my fault, BUT the accident happened because the owner of the car was negligent?
  3. Did the main bread winner in my family pass away in a road accident and I was dependent on them for a income?
  4. Did I pay for the funeral of a family member that was involved in a road accident?
If you answered YES to one of these questions, you are eligible for a RAF claim!

What is the process to claim from the RAF?

You need to submit an application with the following information:

  • Your basic personal details;
  • The details of the accident and the vehicles;
  • The parties involved;
  • The amount of money you would like to receive for the damages that incurred;
  • Your doctor’s medical report;
  • A police affidavit report;
  • Witness statements;
  • Any other information that prove you are eligible for a claim.

Please refer to the RAF’s website for up to date information on the claim submission process.

How much can I claim from the RAF?

How much you can claim depends on your ability to prove that you have lost income or you have medical bills to pay as a result of the accident.  Furthermore, once you have submitted all the required information the RAF  will conduct a investigation to verify that you are eligible to receive compensation.

Why talk to a lawyer? 

Our best advice is to get in contact with a reputable attorney that specializes in RAF claims. If you do not know of one, please contact us and we will assist to recommend one to you in your vicinity.

Unfortunately, even if you have a legitimate claim, it can take years for the investigation to be completed. Once the RAF finished their investigation it will take additional time to settle the amount with your attorney. Once the attorney settled the amount with the RAF, it will take more time to pay out your settlement amount. Refer to our previous
article on how long this process takes.

The Road Accident Fund payout amount will depend on numerous factors. These factors are for example:

  • how extreme your injuries are;
  • the impact that the accident has had on your life; and
  • the cost of future treatment for your injuries. 

Often, the Road Accident Fund will make an offer to the claimant in the hope of an early settlement. Consequently, many claimants will take the offered money immediately. We strongly advise against this strategy. In many cases the initial offered amount would be substantially less than the final agreed amount that an attorney could negotiate. That is to say you will receive less money if you accept the first offer.

In summary, we recommend that you always use an attorney to submit your claim to the RAF.

RAF Finance during your waiting period.

In other words, if you really need money and can’t wait for the RAF to pay out your claim once it has been settled, you can advance your claim proceeds using WeBridge.

If you are curious how this finance process works, please have a look at the explanation video below:

Once your claim has been settled you can apply for finance on you RAF claim. Above all, you can only receive finance if you have claimed via an attorney.

Apply online today: https://webridge.co.za/apply-online/